Strangers - Depeche Mode Forum

Random DM talk, everything that won't fit in any other topic can be posted here (:

« Older   Newer »
Eagly92
view post Posted on 1/4/2010, 18:54

So I thought I'd post a topic like this since this isn't news exactly x]

Has any of you noticed this year's depechemode.com April Fools joke? :'DD I still think the restaurant thing was the best of them all x]

Devoted=Lipbalm
view post Posted on 4/4/2010, 17:06

No, havent visited there. What was it??? :D

Angelinda
view post Posted on 6/4/2010, 19:37

Yeah, what happened?
I'm pretty sure it's just BRAt who's behind these pranks. IIRC Dave wasn't even aware of the planning of that April fools joke until people commented on it to him.

Meanwhile, I just noticed that the site is plugging a band called Basic, with the songwriter being Martin's cousin. I have already listened to his songs before on his Myspace channel before, but I didn't find them particularly interesting.

Eagly92
view post Posted on 7/4/2010, 11:39

Sorry, my bad, I though that the news about him adopting James was the joke (believing he had done that long ago) but I suppose it wasn't :/ terribly sorry x] well, I think we need a topic like this anyway.

Basic isn't half bad (: and I believe the article said that Mart was their uncle not cousin?

Angelinda
view post Posted on 7/4/2010, 17:09

Oh yeah I always mix up nephew and cousin. So Dean Oldfield is Martin's nephew, and Mart is his uncle. :)
It's just that in Dutch there is no distinction between nephew and cousin, so I always forget which one's which. :)

Eagly92
view post Posted on 7/4/2010, 17:23

Haha, that's okay x] If you'd start talking about second cousins and all that stuff I'd be totally out.

Angelinda
view post Posted on 7/4/2010, 20:56

Hey did you guys know that there is a Hungarian playmate called Anna Kelemen who claims that she has slept with Martin Gore during the TTA tour? She claims that she met him in his hotel bar after the show in Budapest. She was hoping to meet Dave there, but of course he was not around. Then she settled for Martin and she simply said "I want to have sex with you" to him, which was enough. I don't think Martin is that easy to get. :) She claims that they both drank a lot of alcohol, and spend two days in his hotel room. But the thing is, Martin had already quit drinking by then (he stopped drinking after the first American leg of the tour), which doesn't make her story very believable. She's not very credible in general, since she claims to have slept with many famous people.
I know of this because I had to translate an English transscript of a Hungarian interview with Martin and Fletch from March 2009 for the DMTV archives project, and the interviewer asked him if it was true. Martin didn't really give an answer, though. He just gave a long pause, looked at Fletch, and said "What shall we say? The fifth?" and Fletch said "Yeah, we plead the fifth", referring to the fifth amendment from the US constitution, which means that any US citizen can plead the fifth if they feel that anything they say can be used against then.

I definitely do not believe her, especically since she also says that she took so much booze and tranquilisers that she doesn't remember much of it. But Martin's way of not really answering and dragging Fletch into giving an answer doesn't sound very credible either.

I never thought Martin Gore would be dragged into such a sleazy rumour. This sounds like something that is made up by tabloids like the National Enquirer or The Sun.

Eagly92
view post Posted on 8/4/2010, 10:14

Errr... even if it was true, I really wouldn't go shouting about it to all of the world like that woman did :s What's so honorable about getting drunk and high and then doing someone just because they are famous? :alienff:

Of course, from Mart's POV, he was single at those times wasn't he? It's not our business to judge who he slept with or didn't.

Angelinda
view post Posted on 8/4/2010, 14:32

Well I just saw some footage of her in the video interview and she looks more fake than real. I think she's a real attention seeker. But yeah Martin was single, and maybe he settled for less since he had a tough time going trough the divorce. But I guess we never know for sure if it's true or not, and I suppose there was no proper way of answering the question, since "no" as an answer might be seen as a lie to some people.

By the Way, about the April Fools joke: Yesterday I read that around 2003, I think, BRAT also made a April Fools prank, by saying that Dave was giving up his singing career in order to become a surf guard in Baywatch. Apparently Reuters picked it up and ran the story, which meant that it spread all over.
I wouldn't mind seeing Dave running on the beach in slow-motion, but not if it meant he stopped his singing career! :P

Angelinda
view post Posted on 22/4/2010, 23:00

Don't know if I'm allowed to post this since it's kinda personal, but Fletch and his wife are having an extended holiday in mauritius because of the volcano eruption. His wife has tweeted quite some funny comments about them being stranded...

http://twitter.com/GrainneFletcher
:)
Let me know if posting this link violates their privacy.

Angelinda
view post Posted on 26/4/2010, 23:32

According to a member on the site linked below, Christina Aguilera was once at a DJ gig of Martin Gore in New York. Pretty weird... :S

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/46231444.html

Angelinda
view post Posted on 26/4/2010, 23:53

And I came across some guy's life story and how he met DM in 1990 through the make-a-wish foundation, since he had HIV. Quite an endearing story.

www.shawnandgwenn.com/depeche-modes-violator-turns-20/

Eagly92
view post Posted on 28/4/2010, 14:39

That's a great story :D Thanks for sharing (:

~Sister of Night~
view post Posted on 30/4/2010, 20:28

Aww, loved the story!So touching :)

Angelinda
view post Posted on 1/5/2010, 19:38

Someone on a Romanian forum posted a summary of an interview with Dave, which occured in 2007. The interview was in the French edition of Premiere, so rather than talking about music, they talked about films. I'll post the summary here, since his list of favourite films is quite interesting:

Dave Gahan interview in the French edition of Premiere
Dave talking rather about cinema than music. So here we go but first his favourite movies mentionned during the itw :

Mission
21 Grams
The Proposition
Zoolander
Little Miss Sunshine
The Godfather trilogy
This Is Spinal Tap
The Deer Hunter
Raging Bull
Old School
The Wizard Of Oz
Killing Zoe

- Another mention he'd like to take some time in the future to work with Gustavo Santaolalla.
- He's totally fascinated by The Wizard Of Oz, "the first movie which really impressed me"
- Loathed the remake of Hairspray whereas he's pretty much fan of the John Waters movie.
- The only Depeche video he was really implicated in was (no surprise) Suffer Well.
- To the question of what directors he would like to direct one of his video, he first mentions Sean Penn (though he's quoted not being a fan of the movies he directs), then Clint Eastwood.
- Back to his LA days, Barry Sonnenfeld reached him in order to play the part of the guy being shoot in the foot in Get Shorty. He refused saying it wasn't the right time. Then Quentin Tatantino proposed him a part in Pulp Fiction and can't remember which one. The interview fails to explain if Dave declined or didn't get the role. At the end, he regrets not to do it.
- If Anton proposes him a role in his next movie, he'll certainly think about it. He then says Anton's been motivating him for years to play comedies.
- Huge fan of Al Pacino.
- He says that before each concert, he feels like a boxer going on the ring : "Jake La Motta, it's me"
- Apparently Jennifer struggles to find interesting roles and mainly acts in students movies and ads.
- He's a neighbour of Julianne Moore.
- The Deer Hunter makes him cry each time he sees it.
- He's totally fan of Ben Stiller, Will Ferrell, Steve Martin and Chris Farley (the latter was a close friend in his LA period).
- He saw Supergrave with his two sons and loved it.
- Finally, he doesn't really know the French cinema, apart from Jean-Luc Godard. The only French movies he knows are the one his wife shows him.

That's it, a bit long but I thought it was interesting to share what I found to be an unsual side of Dave.

Edit: forgot to mention he had a 5 hours flight close to Robert DeNiro and didn't dare talking to him.

Place where I found it:

http://www.depechemode.ro/yabb/cgi-bin/yab...1176455163/1346

I'll try to find the original source, but I would be surprised if I found it.

41 replies since 1/4/2010, 18:54   19796 views